Search This Blog

Sunday, May 6, 2018

FEST READINESS--The Info You Need


from John Heebink 887-8610

SIDEWALK COMICS FEST

3-7pm, Sunday, May 13  -- Rain or Shine

Big thanks to you who are taking part in the first Sidewalk Comics Fest! Here’s the info you’ll need.



THE LAST CLASS SESSION BEFORE THE BIG DAY

4pm STEVENS BOOKS, 49 Ocean Ave, SF

Our invited guests—Katie, Jason, Brie, Matt and Chris—are very welcome to come to class Saturday, but they can roll in the next day with no shame. 

We usual suspects will meet as usual at 4 pm Saturday to support each other in nailing down last minute details. I will bring the button machine and the supplies. Griffin, it would awesome if you could bring that cutter thing. The one I rented cuts the art a little too big, so it needs to be scissor-trimmed to make a good button. I’ll have scissors.
I’m gonna bring a big roll of paper so we can letter signs with our names to put on the windows behind our tables. 



IMPORTANT NOTE for BUTTONMAKERS:
I had my art out-put at the printing desk at Staples, on “80# Gloss.” It was great!! Made perfect buttons. I recommend this over printing at home. There's still time!

GET YOUR CON KIT SET!

For my students, an overly expansive list of things you might consider having at your table:
  • Comics, Books, Original Art, Prints
  • Portfolio or box to hold art -- I like the ITOYA portfolios available on Amazon
  • Stickers, buttons, magnets
  • Business cards?
  • Buttons!!
  • Paper or sketchpad or comic backing boards for sketches.
  • Your traveling art kit
  • Post-Its for price-tagging
  • Sharpies and metallic markers for signing things and pricing
  • A notepad for writing down your commission list, etc., etc. Also for sending notes to the cashier! More on that below
  • Mailing tubes for prints (I’m bringing a dozen or so to share)
  • 11x17 bags and backing boards for prints and original art (I’m bringing some to share.)
  • Mylar bags and backing boards for comics, book
  • Pretty patterned cloths on which to display your wares
  • Lit dumps, aka magazine holders, improvised or store-bought, to get your pubs standing up and looking noticeable!
  • Water bottle

THE ACTUAL EVENT: 

SF’s FIRST hopefully ANNUAL SIDEWALK COMICS FEST!


SIDEWALK COMICS FEST
3pm, Sunday May 13

The show runs from 3-7pm, the bookstore hours. My fond hope is we will adjourn to a nearby bar-restaurant at 7pm to continuing talking after the bookstore closes.

Please arrive before 2:30 pm, so there is time for you to set up, and time for me to ensure you have what you need. Expect a 6’ table and a chair.
The weather should be terrific. I researched that. But I’ll ask everyone to take charge of their own rain protection just in case. Dollar-store plastic sheeting should be sufficient. I’ll have shipping tape. If we have to go inside, we do have enough room to set up in the store and carry on, though I’m sure won’t be optimal.

We’ll have a couple table minders, in the person of loving, tolerant spouses, so that you can listen to speakers like Jason and Brie, look at other tables, bathroom and so on. They will also conduct your customers to the cashiers, with a note from you as to what they’re buying and the price. When they return to you, you exchange the goods for the receipt. We'll square up the books at the end of the day and get you paid.

The City is concerned that we keep a 5-ft width of sidewalk free. I just want you to be aware of that; I’m not expecting you to police it.

My Proposed SPEAKING SCHEDULE 


3:30-4:30 - Open for now— call me if you want it. Matt?
4:30-5:30 - Illustrator-Designer Brie Spielmann on marketing yourself, online and otherwise. She is a fount of good ideas and inspiration. 
5:30-6:30 -  Writer Jason McNamara (Rattler), a favorite guest of past comics classes at the Academy of Art, will talk about writing and promoting your creator-owned independent comics. 

The show runs from 3-7pm. I’m hoping that we will adjourn to a nearby bar-restaurant at 7pm to continuing talking after the bookstore closes.

It’s exciting, for lack of a more precise word: We don’t know whether this will be a ghost town or a mob scene. I’m hoping for something in between.

Here we go!

John Heebink 887-8610

P.S.: Team, please let me know if I've left something out.

No comments:

Post a Comment