Search This Blog

Friday, March 10, 2017

Stop Me Before I Blog Again.

Hey Artists,
I should be working on a commissioned sketch or my space bordello project, but instead I'm analyzing skull depths like some 19th century German crackpot.

Reducing the vast variety of humanity to three "specimens," I've found that what I've told you guys so far is broadly correct--if you go by these three pictures!

You decide if any of it matters to you and your style.

To review (in order to make this exercise have any value at all):

  • The human head basically fits in a square.
  • Black folks have the deepest crania, and Asians the shallowest. (Our representative Asian has a head notably taller than square, the white girl just taller than square, and the black guy, just deeper than.)
  • Eyes are about at the halfway line. Children's crania are bigger, "pushing" their eyes below the halfway line. Our white girl has that going on too. Better to err in that direction in drawing women, I assume, unless you want to make them look older or less elegant.
  • Ears are a healthy fraction of an inch farther back than the vertical halfway line. Making the skull come to its greatest height above the ears seems reasonable.
  • I marked her picture, in green, with the landmarks of the Loomis "thirds" scheme and learned that her forehead is a little more than a third--not surprisingly, since she looks like a teen.
John



Wait! New data!
This normal-looking guy has a head that's way taller/shallower than square, and eyes well above the halfway line. What did I tell you guys about generalizing?!

;)

John

No comments:

Post a Comment